Progressives believe that Vermont’s natural environment is the foundation of our health, quality of life, and economy. We will work to:
- Protect our water, air, and biodiversity through strict enforcement of existing regulations, the creation of new regulations, and financial incentives that reward responsible stewardship.
- Strengthen effective land-use planning policies (e.g., Act 250, Current Use Program) that support town centers, farming, forestry, and conservation.
- Promote environmentally sound use of Vermont’s natural resources by supporting composting, expanding recycling, reducing hazardous waste, and restoring polluted sites to environmental health.
- Support and develop alternative energy resources and practices, statewide mass transit, and energy-efficiency programs to combat global warming/climate change.
- Create a carbon tax that is used for green projects/alternative energy.