Progressives believe public education is the essential and most inclusive institution in our communities, offering opportunities for all to participate. We will work to:
- Promote a public education system, Pre-K–12, that provides equal and equitable opportunities for all our children.
- Replace the residential education property tax with a progressive income tax.
- Increase the State of Vermont’s share of special-education funding and improve the quality of services offered.
- Reduce postsecondary tuition costs for Vermonters; include free housing at Vermont state colleges for Vermont students.
- Repeal the Federal No Child Left Behind Act with its excessive emphasis on standardized testing.
- Oppose voucher programs, which undercut public education.
- Support educator efforts at fair, constructive, and comprehensive evaluation and review.